Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Faith comes by HEARING

by Angie Allen
H.A.N.D.S. 2012 Mission Team Member


Audio Bibles!  It was an “ah-ha” moment for me as I mulled over and prayed over the events of my mission trip to Ethiopia with YWAM in October 2011.  So many dark homes, so much illiteracy, so many sick and bedridden people and so many hopeless faces.  What can I do to help?  What can I do to bring the hope of Jesus into these homes?  I can talk about Jesus with them- yes.  I can pray for them- yes.  But once I am gone what is left?  The home is still dark and because of the illiteracy, I can’t even leave them a Bible to keep the hope of Jesus alive in them.  I wrote in my journal as I thought: “They need to hear Jesus’ words”!  At that moment, I believe God put on my heart a burden to find a way to leave the hope of Jesus with them.  I wondered if there was a way to make a Bible they could hear instead of read.

Well, Good News!  There is a wonderful organization called “Faith Comes by Hearing” who has already created such a device.  Apparently this idea isn’t a new concept because they have Audio Bibles in 667 different languages!  They sell a unit called the “Proclaimer” and here is how it works:


  • It has a microchip with the New Testament in the native language.
  • It has a built-in battery that can be rechared using its own solar panel, by crank power or by plugging it in.
  • The battery can play for 15 hours.
  • The speaker is loud enough to be heard by groups of up to 300.

 
2177af52
Audio bible presented to the church at Korah

 
b837fea9
The church at Bole Bulbula with Pastor Abdissa

 
a8a216ac
Received with great joy!

 
In August 2012 my husband and I went again with YWAM to Ethiopia and together our team was able to bring over 19 Amharic Audio Bibles or “Proclaimers”.  It was so amazing to be able to give these to the leaders and pastors of local churches.  Every time we turned it on to demonstrate how it worked, both smiles and eyes widened as the people heard the Word of God in their heart language.  In one church a female leader named Genet (meaning “Heaven”) told us that this gift was “a great wisdom”.  After we gave the “Proclaimer” to them they began singing, dancing, jumping and lifting the “Proclaimer” in the air in celebration and praise!  We are so thankful to God for such an amazing opportunity to share His Word!
 
chris and angie
Chris and Angie Allen

 
You can purchase an audio bible for $100 via our latest YWAM Ethiopia Gift Catalog and meet the great need for God’s Word to be heard in Ethiopia.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...