Monday, April 21, 2014

His Grace is Sufficient

A repost from 2012
by Joy Casey

 
Yigesu
 
IMG_5074
 
Yigesu is a memorable man. I met Yigesu and his son in a remote town in Ethiopia, and I have not been able to quit thinking of him. I meet a lot of people and see and hear many heart-wrenching stories, but there was something extraordinary about this man. Maybe it was his kind face or the way he lit up when he talked about Jesus. Maybe it was his tattered clothes and hand-made crutch that belied the twinkle in his eye.
 
IMG_5079
 
He was one of many waiting to be interviewed for YWAM’s Adoption Ministry 1:27 program, but he stood out to me. He had nothing of material value, not even a house to live in. His clothes were dirty and full of holes and it was pretty obvious that food was not plentiful. His son was with him and was sick. I found out his wife died nine years ago after giving birth to a brain damaged girl leaving him to cope with a child who will never walk or talk. Life has not been especially kind to Yigesu, yet his love for the Savior supersedes his humble station in life.
 
IMG_5084
 
Rarely does a casual meeting remain with me months after the encounter. What was it about Yigesu that has caused me to examine my own relationship with God? Do I claim faith because the lifestyle is comfortable for me? Do I presume upon God to give me what I want so I can be comfortable? Do I love Christianity or do I love Jesus apart from all the trappings? Could I love God fully if everything of consequence were taken away, or would I mumble and accuse and become a martyr full of self-pity and self-righteousness? Meeting Yigesu has been a good thing. His response to circumstances brought me face to face with the words of Jesus, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
 
IMG_5075
 
I suppose it is only natural to want to help this man and his two children. The church can preach all it wants, but if it doesn’t reach out and touch and heal and give hope to the less fortunate, it does not accurately represent our Lord.
 
IMG_5078
 



If you’d like to sponsor a family in Ethiopia who are at risk like Yigesu's, please visit our Adoption Ministry 1:27 webpage here.

.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...