Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Day in Ethiopia

Kelly Bigham and her daughter Kenli are living at our Widows and Orphans Home in Adama. Kelly serves Christ by serving the women and children who have found their way to YWAM's orphanage.

A Day Like Any Other

I’ve spent Christmas away from home before. But I’ve never been in this small room, in this house, inside these four stone walls, along this dirt road, just off the beaten path, in a third world country in Africa. A country that celebrates Christmas on a different date and in a much different way.

When you take away the trees, the stockings, the lights, the plastic yard figures, the music, the candy, the reindeer, the jolly man in red, the huge amounts of food, the family gatherings, the egg nog, the gifts, the plays, the traditions and the count down calendars…..yes, all the STUFF that we add to make it Christmas….well, it becomes a day like any other. I would have never known it was Christmas except I have a ten year old who wouldn’t let me forget! I love Christmas…maybe a bit too much…which is no doubt one of the many reasons I’m here.

I awoke to a strange sound…

(Continue reading here at Kelly's blog Adama Diaries)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...